[WikiEN-l] good example of overuse of {{fact}}

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 16 15:22:38 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>  >Some are easy, of course, like the Wikipedia entry claiming that the
>  >word blackboard ‘‘is now perceived by some as being ’politically
>  >incorrect’ in the United Kingdom.’’ ‘‘Citation needed,’’ a parenthesis
>  >cautioned. Indeed: a Nexis search of UK publications found some 30
>  >blackboards in a week, against just three chalkboards.
>
> This is a quote from:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_change
>
> Our full text reads:
>  >Political correctness is a real or perceived attempt to refine or
>  >restrict language and terms used in public discussion to those deemed
>  >acceptable or appropriate. For example "blackboard" is now perceived
> by >some as being "politically incorrect" in the United Kingdom,
> [citation >needed] and so teachers are instructed to call it a
> "chalkboard" >instead.

 From last six months:

Pet lip
Evening Chronicle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne); Aug 16, 2006; Sophy Doughty; p. 3

Standing up to the PC brigade
Western Daily Press 24 August 2006

My news archive is limited to post 1992 but I can get back to:

Political Correctness goes beyond a joke
The Sunday Times (London); May 16, 1993; Peter McKay;

I can cite the portion where the cite is needed, but I can't cite the
follow on text, that chalk board is now preferred.  Considering most
schools moved to white boards by now, it's a bit redundant, but...