[WikiEN-l] good example of overuse of {{fact}}

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 15 20:14:43 UTC 2006

the wub wrote:
> On 10/15/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> An urban legend so prominent in fact that it is mentioned in a government
> report (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/03/mepess/10 - section
> 6.64) :-)
> I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if it was true, but I agree that if no
> one can find evidence, it doesn't belong in Wikipedia.

An urban legend so prominent that it's mentioned in a government report
_does_ belong in Wikipedia for that very reason. By all means add "this
is an urban legend" to it, but don't simply remove it. Otherwise when
people encounter it elsewhere and do a search to find out more about it
they may not discover its urban-legendness.