[WikiEN-l] Trivial categories

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 14 20:11:45 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
>

>>geni wrote

>>>False the existance of a category does not mean that we should have
>>> articles on everything that could fall within that category.
>>>

>>That's a misapprehension of what this is about.
>>
>>I'd have voted for deletion myself. This is about as pop-cultural as
>>mathmos get (I danced with a man who danced with a girl who danced
>>with the Prince of Wales).
>>

>Not so. It's a lot like actor's Bacon numbers: Meeting someone is one
>thing, but co-author a mathematical paper or acting alongside them is
>slightly less trivial than that.

It's important to put the emphasis on the word "slightly" in that last
comment.  I have a priestly cousin who likes to hand out pictures of
himself shaking hands with the late pope.  He gave me one of those
pictures.  This would give me a degree of separation from JP2 of 2.
Speaking as a person who usually favours inclusionist policies, could we
consolidate these templates into one about degrees of triviality?

Ec