[WikiEN-l] "Doomsday" threat?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 18:37:12 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yet somehow it keeps working, pretty much. This is because every
> > single one of the doomsday scenarios has happened and keeps happening
> > and we've learnt to deal with them as part of the normal course of
> > events.

> We thought that about Usenet spam too, once.
> We lost that one.

Usenet is presently much smaller but still going. The current Cabal
("OK YOU WANTED A CABAL NOW YOU'VE GOT ONE!") are working on how to
get people back from web boards. I volunteered to work on an AJAX
version of slrn, God help me ...

(And the spam is a lot less. Particularly if you apply vicious
filtering to Google Groups, who are now the biggest spam problem site
on Usenet and really couldn't give a shit. "Do no evil" apparently
doesn't include uncaring negligence.)

- d.