[WikiEN-l] Fleshlight

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 11 16:43:13 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 17:47:32 -0600, Bryan Derksen
> <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> It's based on the premise that we have an obligation to accommodate the
>> company's concern over the dilution of the advertising value of their
>> article. We actually have guidelines and policies _against_ that sort of
>> thing; Wikipedia:Spam, Wikipedia:Vanity guidelines, Wikipedia:Neutral
>> point of view.
>
> We have an obligation to living individuals to show them a decent
> level of human compassion.

Since when? Perhaps you're thinking of Wikinfo's "sympathetic point of
view" policy, which is incompatible with NPOV and IIRC the reason why
Wikinfo split.

There's nothing wrong with showing compassion but it has to fit within
our more fundamental NPOV policy.

>> And by the way, disagreement with your arguments is not automatically an
>> assumption of bad faith even though in this case it was a bit harshly
>> worded.
>
> The bad faith was directed at Danny, in my view.  There is a world of
> difference between "hey, Danny, what's the story here?" and "ZOMG! You
> deleted fleshlight! The encyclopaedia is suddenly of no value to
> humanity" or words to that effect.

No, this is simply wrong. I was responding to you accusing Jeff Raymond
of bad faith when he called your argument "a load of hooey." Danny's
actions weren't the subject here.