[WikiEN-l] Reliable sources: problems with [[WP:RS]]

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 11 04:31:21 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 02:58:23 -0600, Bryan Derksen
> <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> That's an appeal-to-motive fallacy. Even if this were true (and don't
>> forget to assume good faith) and it's the reason Phil is complaining,
>> it's still entirely possible that the "reliable sources" guideline is
>> still flawed and Phil's arguments sound.
>
> Of course.  It's just a bizarre coincidence that every time an article
> on something from teh internets is deleted as unverifiable, it's
> always our policies which are wrong, and never the users arguing for
> the retention of stuff which is discussed exclusively by other people
> like them.

But you just used the exact same fallacy again. What does it matter what
the motive is (which, BTW, you're still only making guesses at) when the
argument itself is still sound?

> Sometimes I think it would be good to move all pop culture stuff to a
> sister project where rampant fandom and scatalogical humour will
> present less of a problem.

A fork of that magnitude would cleft Wikipedia in twain, and I doubt
either half would be the better for it. It'd be a toss-up which one gets
to be called "Wikipedia" at any rate.