[WikiEN-l] Spam, Office et al

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:39:39 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> A lot of the bad atmosphere with regards to the Fleshlight is due to a
> confusion between whether Danny is acting independantly or acting as
> WP:Office.
>
> It is confusing for wikipedians naturally.
> It is confusing for Danny as well, who is pressured by the phone calls
> and otrs messages. Who is either left alone making a decision, and later
> is blamed by Jimbo, Brad or whoever. Or who acts under Jimbo or Brad
> supervision, but is the one to receive the blame from the community
> later on.

There are a few things I want to point out here:

Danny did not make this decision in a vacuum. There were a series of
emails over the course of six months leading up to this; there was also
an IRC discussion lasting at least half an hour in which Danny discussed
the details of those emails. It basically came down to:

- People complaining that their linkspam was being reverted
- The company complaining that their carefully crafted advertisement was
being damaged during the course of regular editing and demanding
complete editorial control of the page because it was causing "customer
confusion"

Now, in case you missed it the first time:

THE COMPANY WERE COMPLAINING THAT THEIR *ADVERTISEMENT* WAS BEING
EDITED.                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Note the word ADVERTISEMENT.

In case you missed it again:

AD-VER-TISE-MENT. Spam. Deletable under the new speedy deletion criteria
for spam which Brad had made not long earlier.

Was the declaration of what became CSD G11 an OFFICE action? Perhaps.
Had the use of it prior to this point been claimed to be an OFFICE
action? Not that I'm aware of. Did Danny use his OFFICE account
([[User:Dannyisme]])? No, he used his "I am an average Wikipedian"
account. Was anyone desysopped for restoring the page? No. Did Danny act
unilaterally in deleting this? No, he had the support of several people
who were discussing this with him at the time.

Was it an OFFICE action? No.