[WikiEN-l] wtf.

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 12:59:08 UTC 2006

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Civility#The_use_of_sarcasm
>
> It may be bad practice, but making a rule is nonsensical. Unless
> smarminess and passive aggression are to be made blockable offences.

My god, this sounds like an Onion article:

"Internet encyclopedia Wikipedia bans sarcasm"
>From the article:
"... In a comment wikipedia user Jonathan Swift claims that satire
should  be next..."

Look, if a wikipedia user is uncivil, he's uncivil. We are all
relatively intelligent people, we know when a person is uncivil,
whether he uses hyperbole, sarcasm, satire, iambic pentameter, or
whatever. A blanket ban on sarcasm seems outrageously misguided.

I mean, show me an example of a user that's mean in a sarcastic way.
Doesn't that ALREADY fall under WP:CIVIL? Talk about instruction
creep.

--Oskar