[WikiEN-l] Fleshlight

Parker Peters onmywayoutster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 01:03:09 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2006 at 22:18, Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:30:59 -0500, "Richard Holton"
> > <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >So, that leaves open the possibility of someone else creating the page?
> >
> > Nope.  Fleshlight demand editorial control.  We can't give them that.
> > The only way we can prevent their "advertising value" from being
> > ruined is by not carrying it.
>
> Since when do we have any obligation to preserve somebody else's
> "advertising value"?

We don't.

In addition, this sets a pretty bad precedent. What if GM comes along and
demands the same, on the grounds that our coverage of certain events in the
past hurts the "advertising value" of their automobiles?

I'd rather set the precedent that a company with an entry has no control and
has no grounds to have anything other than basic vandalism-protection (such
as permanent semiprotect) than to go along deleting entries based on this
kind of thing.

I know Danny had the right intentions, I just don't agree with the decision.