[WikiEN-l] Quitting Wikipedia and wanted you to know why.

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:56:35 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> The major problem with SPUI is that he is utterly convinced that he is
> right.  This is fine as long as he is, it is unambiguous, and he can
> prove it.  As you say, he does not play well with others.

I suspect also if you could prove he was wrong, he'd be OK about it -
but that when it's a matter that is subjective, you cannot prove him
wrong.  I don't think his position on road naming was per se wrong -
both sides' positions were largely reasonable and sensible, but not
compatible.  It's simply that he saw absolutely no reason why he
should not get his way or accept a way he didn't see as ideal even if
it had more support.

> I'm not very good at defusing tense situations either.  But I tend not
> to try.  Tony is, on the other hand, possessed of pretty good
> instincts in respect of content and has a long history of spotting and
> correcting obvious errors in the deletion process.

Tony has good instincts when it comes to being on the right side of an
issue.  He's bad, however, at convincing others of it without pissing
them off.

-Matt