[WikiEN-l] Fleshlight

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Oct 8 02:07:27 UTC 2006

SPUI wrote:
> Fleshlight and its representatives have contacted us, asking that they
> have sole discretion over the content of the page, because any edits
> could ruin its advertising value. This is a non-notable product. The
> page was created solely for promotional purposes. It is now gone. Danny
> 01:06, 4 October 2006 (UTC)
>
> http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=fleshlight&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wn
> seems "notable", verifiable, whatever. But our hands are tied by the
> office shit. Any company can now contact Danny, convince him that they
> are "non-notable", and get salted.

That seems kind of silly.  I'd actually looked up this article before
myself, because the "fleshlight" is notable enough that it's entered
slang use, at least in some subcultures, and I had no idea what the word
was referring to.  It's also gotten quite a bit of press, and a quick
google news search turns up a claim in the _Village Voice_ (a mainstream
news magazine) that it's "one of the best-known boy-centric toys".

I would have to say Danny erred in this case with his ignorant statement
that it is a "non-notable product".

-Mark