[WikiEN-l] Parker Peters's comments

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:28:10 UTC 2006

On 06/10/06, Parker Peters <onmywayoutster at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I mean, there's more than one way to do it. On Meta, adminship is for
> > a year at a time, for example. On sr:, admins aren't just janitors but
> > have editorial decision powers. Etc.

> I seem to remember proposals for limited-term adminship on here at some
> point, but it was a while back and got shouted down pretty quick...

The practical effects on en: would be (a) a lot of people with
experience going "o rly? you do it then." (b) the people with no
experience then enthusiastically recapitulating the entire history of
wikistupid as they make all the same mistakes again; (c) lots of
really bad process wars, like late 2005 all over again once more with
feeling, for maybe a couple of years; (d) turning adminship into quite
definitely A Big Deal.

It strikes me as a bad idea with not much reason if the problem is
that RFA isn't promoting suitable candidates because they're making a
big deal of it. I'd address the problem at the RFA end, and am
presently attempting to do so.

- d.