[WikiEN-l] Parker Peters's comments

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:26:47 UTC 2006

> People still complain that it's impossible to get rid of a bad admin
> when that's manifestly false. The ArbCom is *not* happy with cases of
> clear abuse of admin powers and does act when such are brought to its
> attention.
>
> I think it's far better and simpler to make it relatively easy to
> become an admin, then remove the bad ones as and when they show it,
> than to require a process with ever-escalating requirements for
> adminship most of which have nothing to do with the powers in question
> in the hope that this will stop the problem before it occurs.

Proposal: Arbcom states it is willing to desysop people on petition. X
many admins, in a set time frame, are willing to sign their names to
"This guy keeps doing X and Y and bringing the project into disrepute
by so doing"? He's gone, and he can RFA if he wants the bit back.
(Arbcom would have the power to say "go away" to frivolous complaints,
of course)

Defining X would be tricky, but no doubt we could think of something.
Equal to half the support votes on their RFA, in a few days?

This proposal is based on the key, and possibly fallacious, assumption
that 90% of admins are sane sensible quiet people who know Acting Like
A Tosser when it's pointed out to them. (Restricting it to admins
isn't meant to be some kind of elegant blackball system for overriding
RFA, just to get some guaranteed sanity involved...)

Thoughts?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk