[WikiEN-l] GFDL link spam

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:48:44 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, HeinzJ <h-j.luecking at t-online.de> wrote:
> geni schrieb:
> >> very useful for increasing the Google PR)
> >
> > Since the authoy is credited in our history there is no need for a
> > link to the external site how much you want to push this point is up
> > to you.
> >
> So if i use text from wikipedia in an other wiki i only have to write a
> comment ("from ... ") into the history when adding it ?

If the other wiki is also licensed under the GFDL, then yes, pretty
much. The GFDL has more complicated attribution requirements (i.e. the
last five authors, or the most prominent five authors, or something
like that) but to my knowledge very few people follow them or take
them seriously in the context of community-edited documents, and
attribution to Wikipedia itself is probably the most anyone can
expect.

FF