[WikiEN-l] No references in the "end product?"

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:43:32 UTC 2006

> Sorry for top posting, but I just wanted to say that I agree with Daniel
> completely here.  Sources are critical.

Agreed, But should we be sourcing the *wikipedia*, or should we be
sourcing the *article*?

Because that's not the same thing.

In my view, sourcing each article like it is a standalone entity is a
throwback to the dead-tree encyclopedia where cross-referencing is
very painful indeed. With hypertexting it is quite possible to
construct an article that doesn't suffer for lack of references at all
(or very few)- because each paragraph summarises the position of other
article(s) and links to them. The linked-to articles contain numerous
references supporting the summary and their own article.

And this style of article is very useful for people to learn a new
area- the summary article is generally a lot easier to read than one
with the detailed, referenced articles. But right now, a readable
summary article cannot reach FA, because it doesn't have enough