[WikiEN-l] templates for country-centric POV?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 15:11:41 UTC 2006

G'day David,

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_privacy
>
> It's all US POV. It's not immediately clear how to remedy this. I know
> de: has templates for country-centric POV, does en:?

I believe it's {{globalize}} (ironic, no?).  It seems some busy bees
have gone and put together a bunch of more specific templates: "This
article is too Australian", "This article is too Muslim", etc.  Given
that 98% of the time you'd be using the "This article is too American"
template, I'm not sure that this is an entirely efficient use of resources.

What is it about Americans, seriously?  I mean, Australians are arrogant
(well, we are): tell us we do something differently from the rest of the
world, we'll say, "Gosh, we must be weird.  Still, it's probably because
we're so much cooler."

Tell an American that he does something differently from the rest of the
world, and it's a case of, "Gosh, the rest of the world is so weird."
(Of course, that Americans are cooler than the rest of the world goes
without saying; in fact, to point it out would imply the possibility
that this state of affairs could change, so it's best not to.)

A relevant quotation: "Remember, in Italy they drive on the wrong side
of the road."

--
Mark Gallagher
"I've got to start listening to those quiet, nagging doubts."