[WikiEN-l] Sourcing "popular culture" items

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 11 05:36:22 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:13:18 -0500, Jeff Raymond wrote:
>

>>>You don't know how relieved I am to hear that.  Some of the scariest
>>>words I've heard lately from an established editor were "reality
>>>contestants are inherently notable".
>>>

>>It's not like i'm exactly ''wrong''.
>>

>In my view you are.  The contestant is not notable, their performance
>in the reality show may have been.

There is a distinction to be made in the "Idol" shows where an inherent
notability could be ascribed to the "Top 12".  They certainly
distinguish themselves from the hordes who make fools of themselves in
the auditions.  Being able to reach the Top 12 requires a certain effort
in developing skills that is not there for contestants in most other
reality shows.

Ec