[WikiEN-l] Sourcing "popular culture" items

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 11 02:10:58 UTC 2006

Phil Sandifer wrote:

>On Nov 10, 2006, at 3:58 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>This is an overreaction.  While there may be some basis for suspecting
>>that the image may be a copyvio, saying that about the text of the
>>article is a bit of a stretch.  There is not much information in the
>>article to start with.  It is a stub, but that is more an argument for
>>the proposed merge than outright deletion.  How can you say that
>>something is "likely a copyvio"?  Either it's prima facie a copyvio or
>>it's not.
>>

>First of all, let me note that the current version is not the version
>that had the copyvio problems.

What I saw (and Anthony too based on his comments) was indeed the
current version.  It has essentially been there since Sept. 27.  If
anyone but Jimbo had written this way it would have been treated as
trolling.  He even said, "(I would delete it now, but I want people to
take a quick look at it first)", but the picture was already gone.  It
was reloaded but not linked from the new article.  The leader of
Wikipedia should know by now what kind of firestorm his comments can
raise when they are completely factual.  So when he irresponsibly uses
data that was deleted more than a month ago as though it were still
current the results are bound to be chaotic.

Your comments about the former version make a lot of sense, but the fact
remains that it was already deleted on or before Sept. 27.

Ec