[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline Hitlist

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 21:25:19 UTC 2006

Charles R. Matthews wrote:

++++++++++++++
We would reject the edits of anyone claiming to be Einstein! We would have
rejected edits from AE himself, if he had not been able to edit neutrally on
the Copenhagen interpretation.

>* In the article about Microsoft, Wikipedia would reject the submissions of
*>* Bill Gates, but encourage those of an amateur computer enthusiast, or
*>* (heaven forfend!) accept those of Steve Jobs editing anonymously.
*
I think we might have some problems with Mr. Gates's POV on, for example,
the EU's fining of Microsoft. I think we'd have many problems with
Microsoft's legal office slanting the articles about Micrsoft's litigation.
Don't you?
++++++++++++++++++++
Charles, thank you for actually defending my main point.  If Wikipedians
like yourself assume that PREVENTION of editing is the only way we'll ever
see whether paid, seemingly-conflicted editing can actually be done
neutrally, we'll never actually know.  Let's just all assume that Albert
Einstein and Bill Gates would be intellectually INCAPABLE of contributing
neutral, beneficial content to Wikipedia.  Let's assume that the Wikipedia
community would not be capable of MERCILESSLY EDITING (or reverting) the
content that they found to be biased (through cited sources, of course).  In
fact, let's just assume bad faith, all around, shall we?  It certainly
stands to reason that the only thing Bill Gates might possibly be able to
add to an article about Microsoft (or computers, or inner-city secondary
education) would be his perspective on EU fines against Microsoft.  It would
equally stand to reason that Arch Coal and Fleshlight are very similar
companies, in search of exploiting Wikipedia in the exact same ways.

So, as long as we're assuming the worst possible abilities on the part of
anyone who earns a dollar, I'm curious to see what you had to say about my
other two points (to which you didn't respond) -- that of Angela Beesley's
editing "her" Wikia article, and the nature of the Reward Board, which
offers MONEY to people to write about a particular topic that the financier
wants written about?

(Prediction:  This is where we'll begin to see these layers of excuses and
hypocrisy being donned once again.  Wikia is a different case.  The Reward
Board is an exception.)

--
Gregory Kohs
Cell: 302.463.1354