[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline Hitlist

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 17:11:14 UTC 2006

On 11/3/06, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:
> WP:IAR should really be historical at this point.  Did it have use back in
> the day?  Maybe so, but we have enough admins and useful policies and
> guidelines at this point where there really isn't ever a need to do so
> anymore, and is really just trotted out by people who know better these
> days.

I think in the cases of most good applications of "ignore all rules",
it isn't invoked by name.  People simply do the right thing instead of
the rules-bound thing.

The flipside of IAR is also useful.  If you do a stupid thing, "but I
followed all the rules!" doesn't excuse it, and doesn't mean that the
stupid thing can't be fixed.

-Matt