[WikiEN-l] Unblock request - Critique on administrators is no personal attack

Lord Voldemort lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:17:27 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
> Lord Voldemort wrote:
> > On 5/31/06, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
> >> In theory you are right, but experience shows, that most editors
> >> who feel offended by it, will get blocked sooner or later, because
> >> no policy tells them, that the results of 3 month old poll is a
> >> binding decision and ignoring it will as likely as not result in
> >> a block.
> >
> >>From the page in question:
> > <!--
> >
> >   NOTE ABOUT THE IMAGE: For many days, discussions occurred and polls
> > were conducted on the talk pages of this article and in February 2006
> > the super majority (over 80% of contributing editors) decision was to
> > keep the image displayed as it currently is without a "linkimage" and
> > with no added warning template or text. Thus based upon this,
> > unilateral (without general consensus) removal, hiding, relocation or
> > resizing of this image (particularly in a repetitive fashion) will be
> > considered disruptive editing, detrimental to Wikipedia, and may
> > result in a block of your account and/or IP address.
> <snip/>
> > -->
> >
> > Is this not ample enough warning?  Seems fairly clearly laid out to me.
>
> Yes, it's a clearly laid out warning, but it's not a policy,
> instead it actually contradicts [[WP:NBD]], which states:
>
> Later objections to a decision might represent a change in consensus
> that may need to be taken in account, regardless of whether that
> earlier decision was made by a poll or other method.

 Except you snipped the key part: "If you wish to
discuss aspects of the display of the image of the cartoons, please do
so in a civil manner by posting in the image discussion area of this
article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy/Arguments/Image-Display
 Do not unilaterally remove images or add image warnings. Thanks!"

If consensus changes, by all means, remove the image.  But until
consensus shows differently, it should probably stay.  And frankly,
I'm not sure this is even the right place to be discussing this. On
that note, I am done. I'll give you the last word if you want it.
Cheers.
--LV