[WikiEN-l] Policy on adding (many, relevant) links to articles?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon May 29 16:49:45 UTC 2006

Mark Gallagher wrote:
> G'day Nick,
>

>> Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
>>

>>> Please *don't* just use the GFDL for photos. Use a Creative Commons
>>> Attribution license instead of, or together with the GFDL.
>>>
>> Why?
>>

> Because the GFDL is bloody awful.  CC-BY-SA gives all the advantages, to
> both content creators and users, without the unnecessary overhead and
> the strange feeling that one ought to be frothing at the mouth and
> bad-mouthing "Micro$oft" that always occurs when one attempts to use the
> GFDL.

I agree with images, and with many instances of text, but the GFDL is
still IMO the best choice for the purpose it was designed for, Free
books.  It balances the freedoms of allowing others to modify and
redistribute the content with some protection for the original author in
the form of the history sections, front-cover and back-cover texts, and
so on.  Although i do agree that it's unnecessarily cumbersome to have
to distribute the entire text of the GFDL rather than pointing to some
canonical URL.

-Mark