[WikiEN-l] Unblock request - Critique on administrators is no personal attack

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun May 28 23:58:16 UTC 2006

Raphael Wegmann wrote:
> geni wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/06, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
>>
>>> Laws in the country, where I live, limit free speech.
>>> For example it is forbidden to deny the Holocaust.
>>>

>> And if that prevented us from writing about holocaust denial then we
>> would have a problem in your country.
>>

> IANAL, but I don't think that this law would prevent me
> from writing *about* Holocaust denial, as long as it is
> clear, that I don't deny the Holocaust myself.
>
> The same should IMHO apply to the J-P cartoon article:
>
> There's no problem to write *about* insulting cartoons
> and the controversy following it, as long as we distance
> ourself from the publishing of the cartoons by i.e.
> moving them one click away instead of re-publishing them
> as we do right now.

Indeed the law doesn't prevent us from doing so, which is why it isn't a
problem for Wikipedia (whether it's a good law or not is another matter,
but one that doesn't affect us).  But your suggestion of not publishing
the J-P cartoons isn't analogous to what we do with holocaust denial at
all.  Our articles *do* republish statements, cartoons, posters, and
other material denying that the Holocaust occurred, as part of a general
encyclopedic treatment of the subject.  The article would be quite a bit
worse if we were prohibited from republishing any material that could be
considered Holocaust-denying, and had to just talk about it without
showing any examples.  I would say the same goes of the J-P cartoons.

-Mark