[WikiEN-l] The admin problem

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun May 28 20:31:40 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 5/28/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
>> with the territory. I'm a freelancer without family, so there are very
>> few ways in which a person on the Internet can harm me -- and my
>> feelings don't get hurt if someone whose opinion doesn't matter to me
>> harasses me.
>
> Out of curiosity, doesn't being a freelancer mean your reputation is
> quite important to your income? Wouldn't you be hurt if "Eric Moeller
> is a child molester" was the first thing that came up on Google under
> your name?

There is actually a strange irony.  Some of the people who post to
Wikipedia Review are or could be legitimate critics, with thoughtful and
perhaps even interesting criticisms of things that we have done wrong,
either through honest mistakes, human failings, or bad policy.  Such
critics might be hard to listen to, but traditionally we have been quite
good at doing so, and I am always one of the first to say that we should
try to listen to all criticism for nuggets of wisdom.

But those who are potentially legitimate critics do themselves a serious
 disservice by participating in a forum with people who are, quite
simply, mental cases, and who discredit the entire operation with what
can only be classified as offensive hate speech and stalking.

--Jimbo