[WikiEN-l] The admin problem (was: katefan0)

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Sun May 28 12:38:47 UTC 2006

On 5/28/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, doesn't being a freelancer mean your reputation is
> quite important to your income? Wouldn't you be hurt if "Eric Moeller
> is a child molester" was the first thing that came up on Google under
> your name?

It certainly helps that my name has an umlaut which Google cannot deal
with very well, so it treats a few variants (such as Erik Møller or
Erik Moller) as equivalent. The only case that has ever led to a
misunderstanding were some comments in my homepage guestbook (which I
since deleted), which I had left unattended for a while. It was taken
over by two strange subcultures, satanists and religious
fundamentalists, who decided that my personal guestbook was the best
place to wage the great war between these uncompromising ideologies.
One of them even ended up posting under my name (the guestbook didn't
have any authentication).

Of course, there's the occasional case where someone contacts me only
to be never heard from again, and I sometimes wonder if they decided
to google me. ;-)

Erik