[WikiEN-l] Editing a featured article

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Sat May 27 02:40:04 UTC 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 6:44 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:

>> This is from a talk page of a featured article:
>>
>> " Beyond which, this is an FA, and FA's really should be treated
>> as more
>> finalized and finished than general articles, as they have passed
>> through
>> form of peer review and have a community endorsement in their present
>> forms."
>>
>> Is this view supported anywhere? Should I be more careful when
>> editing a
>> FA,
>> since it should be supposed that the article is good as it is and
>> does not
>> need a change?
>
> Yes, this is the general view. In particular, don't add unsourced
> statements
> to a fully sourced article, don't add spelling mistakes to a proofread
> article etc. I would like us to formalise this.

Featured articles should have guardians who fearlessly revert bad
changes like this while taking useful contributions and massaging
them into the featured whole. This would work a lot better than the
salutory neglect system we employ now. I know this sounds ominously
like WP:OWN, but it's needed.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch