[WikiEN-l] welch and consensus

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Thu May 25 17:18:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 22:27 +0530, Prasad J wrote:
> Saladin was a Muslim and he was fighting the Christians during the
> Crusades. Most Wikipedians are Christians so they are obviously going
> to be against anyone who calls himself Saladin. But would you react
> the same way if I chose the pseudonym "Richard the Lionheart"? Please
> don't start becoming Islamophobic-it sucks.

"Most wikipedians are Christians"? This falls far short of our standards
of citation. I suspect its not true.

I dont think anyone should name themselves after other people.
Personally I edit under my real name (slightly abbreviated) and
I think that or an arbitrary handle for people who wish to remain
anonymous is fine. Using someone elses name is not, whether they
are dead or alive.

Justinc