[WikiEN-l] for slimline and the reference to harold shipman

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Wed May 24 16:03:00 UTC 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 12:21 AM, abu hamza wrote:

> well lets get ther record straight.
> The harold shipman page already stated he was jewish, well before i
> came
> along. I put it back in, after it was removed with no explanation
> (first
> time).  I didn't add it.
> It was then removed repeatedly.

Usually, one is (a) either supposed to get the hint and stop adding
it back in, or (b) attempt to discuss the issue instead if just
revert warring over it.

> the few references that are available (not usable in wikipedia)
> such as
> letters to newspapers on websites ( i have given the link here
> already)
> state he was jewish as his mother was a jewish asylum seeker.

If the only references available aren't usable in Wikipedia, then the
information in question is not verifiable and should not be included
in Wikipedia.

> Whether it should be included on his page is debatable, because you
> would
> then have to go through all the pages where criminal and muslim are
> put
> together and ban the editor of that page indefinately.

No, not at all. First off, if you look at pages like [[John Allen
Muhammed]], there's nothing in the lead paragraph (which is where you
kept putting it in the Shipman article) indicating that he is Muslim.
Secondly, it is a verifiable fact that John Muhammed is Muslim. It is
not verifiable fact that Harold Shipman is Jewish or is of Jewish
ancestry.

> Thankfully there is NO WIKIPEDIA policy that states this is grounds
> for an
> indefinate ban???

Wikipedia is not a corporate bureaucracy operating solely by written
procedures and policies. There's a consensus of administrators to
block your account indefinitely. That's enough.

> The issue here was not my obsession with putting it back in, but
> someones
> obsession with taking it out.

It takes two to edit war. Besides, there's a consensus between
multiple parties to take it out. You're the only one obsessed with
keeping it in.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch