[WikiEN-l] Saladin1970 (new thread)

Rob gamaliel8 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 14:30:31 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne at gmail.com> wrote:
 .

> Then take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo_Constanzo Are
> the person who added information about this American born serial
> killers Cuban heritage going to be scolded in a similar way as
> Saladin1970 now? An indefinite ban for that editor maybe? Why is it ok
> to write that his mother was a Cuban immigrant, but it is not ok to
> write that Harold Shipman's mother was a Jewish immigrant?

I'm astonished not that people are willing to defend the poster Abu
Hamza (nothing wrong with that of course), but that they are insisting
on ripping single offences free from their context and then saying
"Hey, this looks perfectly innocent."  No, there's nothing wrong with
someone making a good faith, sourced edit to Harold Shipman indicating
his religious background.  "Hey, Abu Hamza is the equivalent of Johnny
Smith!"  Sure, and my real name might be Davey Duke too, but we don't
have to be purposefully naive when we look at these issues.  In
isolation, we can make everything he did look perfectly innocent, but
when a user takes the screen name of a man (quoting WP) convicted of
"racial hatred and incitement to murder", shares the same obsession
with Harold Shipman's supposed Jewish background as the convicted
Hamza, inserts text dumps from "Zionism The Real Enemy of the Jews"
into articles and claims he's merely "quoting the Talmud", and calls
respected editors Zionists in a way that's clearly intended as a slur,
well, you don't need a weatherman to know which way this wind is
blowing.  This clearly adds up to a pattern of behavior that is
inappropriate for Wikipedia, and you aren't doing him any favors by
defending his behavior.  That will just encourage him to perpetuate
this patten of offenses and he will get banned again or his ban will
just never be permanently lifted.  If you really want to stick up for
this guy, try to get him to improve his behavior, don't try to
rationalize it for him.