[WikiEN-l] Saladin1970 (new thread)

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Wed May 24 13:15:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:05:56 +0530, you wrote:

>You have neglected the second part of my message- the one that deals
>with indefinite blocks placed without benefit of Arbitration. Do you
>have any comments to make about the latter?

I'm not really entering this debate, I got this by accident as I was
going through the messages of condolence for the death of my sister,
but I want to respond to this point.

As a member of the community, a white supremacist exhausts my patience
at about the first edit.  Ditto an extremist Zionist, an Islamist or
even a militant atheist - if they can't bring themselves to respect
other editors and contribute according to the rules, good riddance to
them, and it's not like we haven't heard it before.  Kids who add crap
learn and grow up, bigots do not, they just get a greater feeling of
entitlement to their bigotry.

Wikipedia is a collaborative project.  People who prove themselves
unable to collaborate, whether over a long or a short period, are
destructive of the project.  Absolutely no good can come of having
bigots insert crap.  None whatsoever.  It's not just that these are
not valuable contributors, they are actively harmful because they
cause dissent and strife among other editors who are actively trying
to cover subjects neutrally.  WP:NPOV is non-negotiable, and someone
who shows that they cannot and will not abide by it is best shown the
door soonest.  Experience indicates that it will happen sooner or
later anyway, in the meantime we have better things to do than police
them.

The amount of good, useful editing a user needs to do in order to be
seen as worthy of trying to save is very small.  These POV-pushers who
do nothing but try to slant articles to support their lunacy are
simply not worth saving, and the sooner we ban them the quicker.  Why
wait for Arbcom?  Arbcom are just folks, like admins are just folks.
They may be a bit more experienced, but they are not gods.  Blocks can
be challenged, discussed, debated, meanwhile the vast majority of
editors - the ones who do not feel the need to spew bile wherever they
go - can get on with it.  Let the blocked POV pushers come here, or go
to Wikitruth or wherever.  Just as long as they are not adding
antisemitic / anti-Islam / anti-Christian / racist / whatever poison
into the project.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk