[WikiEN-l] my week ban - which is now an indefinate ban again

andrew.j.norman at ntlworld.com andrew.j.norman at ntlworld.com
Wed May 24 09:37:45 UTC 2006

> From: "Prasad J" <prasad59 at gmail.com>
> Date: 2006/05/24 Wed AM 07:46:21 GMT
> To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] my week ban - which is now an indefinate ban again
>
> Um, that's what the listserv is for.
>
> Yes, but it will be more "official" if it was recorded on Wikipedia.
> Also this (putting it up on WP:ANI) is the practice that seems to be
> more common. It's just a request, given the somewhat disputable nature
> of this block.

I've put a suggestion on WP:AN for a process to quickly confirm community bans and allow for review.  I agree with Prasad that this sort of thing needs to be done on Wikipedia itself.  We need a rapid, open and fair method for ensuring that community bans have genuine community support, and it seems to me we don't really have that at the moment.  Once an admin's decided on a community ban, the only way that can currently be overruled is an appeal to the arbitration committee, or the start of a wheel war.