[WikiEN-l] Proposal: limited extension of semi-protection policy

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed May 24 04:38:48 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> Can I propose it then?
>
> 1. Category:Living people can be added to an article by anyone; the
> software prevents anyone not an admin from removing it.
> 2. Being in that cat makes an article semi-protected.

This rests on the assumption that living people are uniquely
problematic.  I disagree.  It is true that incorrect (especially
libelous) information about a living person generally will cause more
harm than the same about a dead person.  However, there are many
articles in which incorrect information will cause much more harm than
incorrect information in most of our living-person articles will (most
of the latter are obscure and rarely, if ever, actually read).

For example:
-- Articles on nations
-- Articles on ethnicities
-- Articles on religions
-- Articles on controversial topics in history
-- Medicine-related articles

Do you really think libel about some obscure living person is worse
than, say, incorrect information in [[suicide]], [[cocaine]], or
[[Basque country]], so much so that it's worth taking special measures
for the category of living people that aren't taken for any other
category of article?

-Mark