[WikiEN-l] 911

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 23 07:35:16 UTC 2006

Philip Welch wrote:

>On May 22, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Prasad J wrote:
>

>>>OH MY GOD. Prasad, we've put up with your shit for long enough.
>>>

>>Since I am not a hick or a hillbilly you will understand that I do not
>>appreciate the use of profanities against me. I ask that you not use
>>your "git-r-done" lingo whilst communicating with me.
>>

>I don't know about where you live, but in most places people use
>profanity in cities too. In North America, it's generally only
>backwards rural people who get offended by profanity.

It's probably more widespread than that, and would definitely include
the boardrooms of the major TV networks.  The seven words that George
Carlin spoke of 30+ years ago are just as taboo now on the networks as
they were then.  The segment of American society that was offended by
Janet Jackson's SuperBowl breast is still powerful.

In Canada where we see TV from both sides of the border we are less
likely to have the naughty words bleeped.

Ec