[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue May 23 03:02:17 UTC 2006

G'day Peter,

>>From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
>>[mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Mark Wagner
>
>>On 5/21/06, Peter Mackay <peter.mackay at bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, we got lots of such pictures. I think we've established that
>>>these images are non-controversial and the problem is
>>
>>finding the best
>>
>>>way for uploaders to license them without claiming ownership.
>>
>>Seems to me the best solution is to tag it as {{GFDL}} or
>>{{PD}} or whatever, and add a note of "Taken at my request".
>
> Mmmm, but does requesting someone to take a photograph actually give you
> copyright over the resulting image? I don't think it does, without explicit
> assignment.

When I take a photo for someone else, using his camera, so that he can
appear in the photograph as well, the *last* thing on my mind is "who
gets copyright?"  I'm just pressing a button as a favour to a tourist or
something (latest example, an immigrant who wanted to send a photo of
himself frolicking in < 1cm of snow home, to say to his parents "look,
it's really cold in Canberra!").

Unless my views are totally out of touch with those of the average
passer-by (who knows, they could be), I think most would, if they
consider copyright at all, be happy to let the subject have it.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"