[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Mon May 22 21:33:37 UTC 2006

On 5/23/06, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:

> On May 22, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Stan Shebs wrote:
>
> >> If the artists references multiple photographs and produces an image
> >> of Han Solo where Han is standing in a pose different from any of the
> >> photographs, or in a different or neutral setting, then it's not a
> >> derivative work of any one photograph.
> >>
> > *Still* not off the hook! The copyright covers any sort of
> > depiction of the character, irrespective of the mechanics of
> > production. For instance, a Han Solo action figure is not an
> > exact reproduction of any screenshot from the movie, but it
> > can only be legally sold under license from the moviemaker. Ditto
> > for 3D meshes and textures ending up in a Star Wars-themed video
> > game. As I said in another message, the pros at this are wise to
> > all kinds of trickery, and there is case law for a remarkable
> > variety of attempts to find loopholes.
>
> Well, I guess that's that then. No images of Han Solo. (But images of
> Harrison Ford are okay for [[Harrison Ford]]?)
>
> --
> Philip L. Welch
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried contacting Lucasfilm and seeing what they will allow
us to use?

After all, we are a top 20 website and we probably have the most Star Wars
related articles of any big site on the web. We are a non-profit
organisation and we don't provide material that directly competes with them.

If they told us what they are happy with and what they are not happy with
us, it would make life a whole lot easier for all concerned. Perhaps we
should look at identifying the rights holders for much of the so-called fair
use material we have and try contacting them.

Regards

Keith Old

Keith Old