[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Mon May 22 03:50:46 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Delirium
>
> Peter Mackay wrote:
> > It's morally wrong in any sort of degree. Stealing a cent
> is the same
> > crime as stealing a million.
> >

> I would have to say there are precious few ethical systems that make
> that claim.

Most criminal codes will identify the crime of theft (or larceny) without
discrimination as to amount:
 Theft is "...the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another
with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft#Theft_in_English_law

There is no "flagfall" amount to constitute the offence. However, it would
be difficult to imagine being prosecuted for stealing a cent. Perhaps if you
stole the pennies from a dead man's eyes, that might be deemed outrageous
enough to prosecute?

Peter, firm but fare