[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon May 22 00:07:58 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, Peter Mackay <peter.mackay at bigpond.com> wrote:
> It's morally wrong in any sort of degree. Stealing a cent is the same crime
> as stealing a million.
>
> Whether you are going to be prosecuted for it is an entirely different
> question.
>
> Claiming copyright over something you don't own is morally wrong, even if
> nobody gives a rat's bum.

Assuming that 1. we all agree that something like claiming that you
have IP ownership over a snapshot of yourself, even if it is not
legally clear cut, is "morally wrong" and 2. that Wikipedia image
policy should be directed around "moral" concerns (I think that's a
barn door of problems that we really don't need to open), the "moral"
problem here lies in the person who took the picture and is claiming
they have the ability to license it.

FF