[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Sun May 21 21:49:12 UTC 2006

In message <068f01c67d18$3667b090$6400a8c0 at Tiny>, Peter Mackay
<peter.mackay-bzGI/hKkdgRBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> writes

I think we need to apply a modicum of common sense when handling
copyrights, particularly when determining who is the actual copyright
holder is inherently indeterminable.

For example, if I had sufficiently bad taste as to upload the primary
school portrait of me at age 7, taken in 1966, I would consider it
reasonable for the subject, me, to release the photo under GFDL, or PD
or whatever, as:
- I have absolutely no idea who took photographs of primary school
children in Denbighshire, Wales forty years ago,
- my parents paid good money for that photo (possibly as much as a
shilling or two),
- it is highly unlikely that the two unpurchased copies of the portrait
survived more than a couple of years in the photographers' files,
- the photographer is unlikely to still be in business,
- I cannot conceive of anyone possibly objecting to the use of the photo
(except on grounds of artistic taste!)

Do you contend that some pictures can never be used in Wikipedia under
any circumstances, even in similar circumstances where the theoretical
copyright holder cannot be traced despite any conceivable amount of
tracing effort?

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/