[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Sun May 21 20:50:36 UTC 2006

See below.

> > In any case, the license
> > used to upload the picture indicates that the subject is
> the creator,
> > and to my mind if the actual photographer is someone other than the
> > subject, then the subject is NOT the creator of the image.
> >
> I'd say the template should be changed, then.  I was going to
> say it should be changed to "I, the copyright holder...", but
> if it's public domain then the person no longer is a
> copyright holder.  If you've got a suggestion how to better
> phrase the template so that it encompasses the situation of a
> work made for hire, let us know.

Is it made for hire? That's a guess.

As for templates, I don't know. I think that the sutuation is common enough
that it needs clarifying.

> > > Anyway, you'd be better off asking him first, maybe he'll fix it.
> >
> > There are two reasons why I won't ask him. The first is
> that I can't.
> >
> I just checked, and he does have his email turned on.  But
> maybe you're banned from that too.  Anyway, is the second
> reason that you don't really care, and are just trying to
> make trouble?

No. It's because I wouldn't get a straight answer. What is it you were
saying about AGF?

The reason I picked that image is because I happened to be on that user's
page, and I wondered about how people handled uploading photographs where
they are the subject but not the creator. Looking around further, it looks
like it is handled in a variety of ways, and Jimbo has made sure that he is
setting a good example.

Peter