[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 34, Issue 189

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun May 21 15:51:47 UTC 2006

On 19 May 2006 at 00:45, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> > It was a WP:OFFICE action. No further explanation is required.
>
> I thought only Danny could do that and he wasn't involved in this.
> There's no indication on UninvitedCompany's userpage that he can do
> OFFICE actions.

WP:OFFICE is getting to be the all-purpose way for the handful of
"bigwig insiders" with the proper Wikimedia Foundation connections to
cut off all debate on something and insist that something be done,
and nobody else has the right to object or even to know why.  It's
kind of like "national security" to the government.  Whenever it's
invoked, it's supposed to be the ultimate "trump card" that overrules
everything else, even including any supposed rules or principles
regarding how, and by whom, WP:OFFICE is supposed to be invoked in
the first place.  It's no longer even necessary that the "magic word"
WP:OFFICE even be recited in the course of such actions; they can be
retroactively declared as such later.

--
== Dan ==