[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Sun May 21 10:21:20 UTC 2006

I was doing some research on ArbCom admonitions against personal attacks,
and I came across a photograph on a user page where the subject of the
photograph states that he is the creator.

I refer to [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PICT4101.JPG] which was
clearly not taken by the subject, nor by using a tripod or other support
such as a wall.

In contrast, another photograph of the same user released under an identical
license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PICT2085.JPG) is clearly taken
by the subject by holding the camera at arm's length.

While I applaud the photographer for his long record of contributions to WP,
I must wonder about the ethics of claiming the work of another as his own,
even if he is the subject of a photograph taken on his own camera.

I suspect that a great many photographs of editors on WP would fall into the
same category.

In fact I raise the point because the photograph on my user page was removed
under the same circumstances and if something is good for the goose, it
should be equally as good for the gander(s).

Pete, keen photographer