[WikiEN-l] Speedy deletions

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Sun May 21 02:50:40 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, SCZenz <sczenz at gmail.com> wrote:

> A reminder to everyone about speedy deletions...
>
> It has come to my attention lately that the speedy deletion criteria are
> being applied rather loosely in some cases.  Especially unfortunate are
> articles that are nominated for being "non-notable"; there is no such
> speedy
> criterion, there is only the criterion that articles about people/groups
> may
> be deleted if they have "no assertion of notability" whatsoever.  This is
> not just process wonkery--it is fundamendal to WP:CSD that the reason for
> deletion be totally uncontroversial, as the process is almost entirely
> without review.
>
> I have encountered many speedy-tagged articles that, upon a careful look,
> were either good articles or worthy of further consideration (e.g. through
> PROD).  It is incumbent on administrators who do speedy deletions to take
> such careful looks at every article; there are enough of us to take the
> time
> to do it right.  It would also be helpful if those tagging pages would
> take
> some care in what they tag, although I do understand that new pages patrol
> (for example) is a thankless and rushed job which is very important.
>
> In cases I've seen where I think mistakes were made, I have tried to start
> discussions with the individual editors involved.  My intention in sending
> this email is not to single them out, but just to bring this issue to
> everyone's attention.  In many cases where an article is clearly
> unsuitable,
> but doesn't clearly fit the speedy criteria, using the WP:PROD process is
> good substitute for speedy deletion, and I urge everyone to use it more
> often.
>
> Thanks,
> SCZenz

That is what I try and do when I do speedy deletions. I try to follow the
general principle of if in doubt, don't delete. Generally, there is no
reason why they can't be kept around for a few days with the exception of
copyvios.

If necessary, I will even rewrite the article as a stub myself if the
subject of the article warrants it and I have enough information.

Regards

Keith Old

Keith Old
User:Capitalistroadster