[WikiEN-l] blocked for a week for these edits

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sat May 20 14:08:43 UTC 2006

On 5/20/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> What if they are famous rather than infamous? Is it ok to give the ethnicity
> a bit of a "boost"? One such issue I recall seeing was on [[Freddie
> Mercury]] - how important are his Indian or Persian origins?
>
> I don't mind if the rules are different for "positive" vs "negative"
> articles - it's a bit of a violation of NPOV, but not a major one.

I personally don't mind if it's a positive association, or a very
interesting one, though again you have to be careful. Pointing out
that someone is a British Muslim mathematician sounds a bit odd. And
we wouldn't say a person was a Celtic scientist, so why a Jewish one?

I prefer to add it only when it's relevant to their bio. For example,
saying that Freud was a Jewish psychoanalyst would be okay because his
background in Judaism played a large part in the development of his
ideas (though the current intro doesn't mention it).

Sarah