[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sat May 20 08:18:00 UTC 2006

G'day Phil W,

> On May 19, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>>I support serious action to ban people who commit copyvios.  We are
>>supposed to be using fair use only in certain very limited
>>circumstances
>>and people who do not realize that should be banned from the project.
>
> This seems overly aggressive to me. It's better to re-educate than to
> ban whenever possible.

I agree.  Re-educate first.  However, *aggressive* copyright violators,
especially people advocating (and agitating!) we relax our guard against
copyvios, are making our life harder and potentially causing serious
damage to the project, all for the sake of a few unnecessary but pretty
pictures.  Such people (and most copyvio fans are not in this league,
and should be re-educated, not banned) fall well and truly into the
"more heat than light" category and shouldn't be pandered to.

If people want a fight on copyright issues, they should understand ahead
of time that they'll lose, and they'll lose *big*.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"