[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri May 19 23:33:12 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> I agree, although I ask if there is actually a major argument for *deleting*
> a "fair use" image used incorrectly, as opposed to simply removing it from
> the webpage. I don't know what the legal status of hoarding "potential fair
> use" images is, of course.

The legal status is that it is completely unjustified.  Fair use is
inextricably tied up with *use* and simply having an image on the
website, not used in an article, does not in any way justify fair use
claims.

> Not that with the numbers of copyvios we have the luxury of really agonising
> over each deletion...

I support serious action to ban people who commit copyvios.  We are
supposed to be using fair use only in certain very limited circumstances
and people who do not realize that should be banned from the project.

--Jimbo