[WikiEN-l] Zero information is preferred to misleading or false information

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri May 19 22:20:16 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> IMHO this kind of writing breaches NPOV and almost NOR - we start to make
> claims about the person by connecting unrelated facts together. We should
> never attempt to expose hypocrisy in our subjects - if it exists, we should
> find reliable sources that have already done that. This was the problem with
> [[Safe Speed]] - editors had tried to debunk claims made by the group,
> whereas what they should have been doing was citing others who had debunked
> them, not just general research that apparently contradicts their claims.
>
> Selective juxtaposition of facts to imply something is definitely out. You
> either say it and cite a source, or you don't say it at all.

Yes.  One important factor in this whole thing is that two things have
happened recently (in the past year):

1. Wikipedia has become a major cultural force especially in the English
speaking world, but also in many other languages as well.  It is
important enough that a current Senator and former US Presidential
candidate I met last week told me that he has his staff check his
biography every day.

But we do not generally have serious problems with people who are that
notable.  Everyone who has a bio in wikipedia is likely to check it with
some regularity.  I try really really hard to not even look at mine,
because I find it so strange to read, but I still do from time to time.

2.  Wikipedia has grown in size to the point that many people who are
NOT particularly famous have an article.  It is easy to understand that
supporters and opponents of George W. Bush will keep an eye on his
article and make sure it do