[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri May 19 20:08:55 UTC 2006

Justin Cormack wrote:

>On 19 May 2006, at 11:54, geni wrote:
>

>>On 5/19/06, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Dont get attached to fair use. Its not part of our mission. It
>>>will all
>>>be gone in a few years at the latest. Dont bother defending it.
>>>
>>>Justinc
>>>
>>Company logos
>>Certian historic images
>>Movie screenshot.
>>

>company logos are fairly harmless, except where they are being used as
>decoration, when we can get rid of them.
>
>I agree that a few of the historic images are worth keeping, the ones
>which have articles.

How is this consistent with your initial declaration that "it will
all be gone in a few years"? Either fair use is sometimes acceptable
or never acceptable - even one fair use image, no matter how much it
is "worth keeping", makes en: non-free.

And of course if you admit the principle that some nonfree images
are allowable, you've reduced it to a matter of personal opinion as
to whether any class of nonfree image is worth including. Every
class of image now accepted has a number of respected editors who
support including that class.

Stan