[WikiEN-l] Deletion of user subpages

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri May 19 19:22:58 UTC 2006

On 5/19/06, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recall a (fairly recent?) ArbCom decision mentioning something about
> userpages that "bring the project into disrepute"; is there any reason
> not to extend this criterion to user subpages?  The denizens of
> WikiTruth and Wikipedia Review and their ilk already have the entire
> rest of the Internet to spout their garbage; there's utterly no reason
> to legitimize it and help spread it by hosting it (however
> inconspicuously) on a top-20 site.

I have nothing in principle against a guideline like this, except for
the essential undefiniability of what does or does not "bring the
project into disrepute."

Again, I don't expect there to EVER be an easy answer to what is or
isn't allowed, but some sort of guideline, along with a few examples,
would probably go a long way towards articulating the policy and its
spirit. (This has worked very well for WP:NPOV, for example -- the
examples have practically eliminated hair-splitting over the issues of
pseudoscience, creationism, fringe theories, etc. that used to consume
NPOV disputes.)

FF