[WikiEN-l] Blocking opponent in disputes

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Fri May 19 18:10:10 UTC 2006

I agree with Fred's cautious approach.  Our written policy puts it
nicely, I think: you shouldn't use blocking *to gain an advantage in a
content dispute*.  But if for instance someone is doing something
disruptive and disputes your warning that it's disruptive, while this
might be a good case for a second opinion it doesn't mean that you
shouldn't go and carry out your warning.  We certainly don't want to
move to a blanket ban on blocking in cases of dispute, and we don't
want to give the miscreant a tool to whack the administrator over the
head (as had unfortunately occurred in a recent case involving someone
blocked for multiple personal attacks).