[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Fri May 19 18:09:24 UTC 2006

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> ...I am a little disturbed by how much careful and detailed work went
> into justifying its inclusion only to be trumped with completely
> unsupported "the artist doesn't like it" and "the Foundation lawyer
> doesn't like it" assertions.

This might be a decent illustration of the unfortunate general
principle that "hard work" on something does not necessarily
mean that the something was the right thing to do.

It's also a decent illustration of why our policy is (properly)
to give a very high preference to truly free and GFDL images,
and to use images under fair use or with permission only as a last
resort, and under duress.  Really, the work required to determine
and then to defend fair use rights in an environment like ours
usually isn't worth it.